Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 10: Best Gameplay




There was really only one game I could choose here. Super Mario Galaxy took everything I ever knew about how a game worked and threw it through a loop, and did it almost flawlessly. That game messed with my head so much, and I loved every minute of it. The controls were smooth and logical (although of course they were somewhat difficult to figure out the logic for when you're sideways or upside down).

I came into the Mario franchise at Super Mario 64, so I was already used to 3-D.  Having played the earlier games now as well, I think Mario 64 also massively improved on level design - something which Nintendo seems to excell at.  Super Mario Sunshine took the 3-D Mario, and added fantastic graphics, beautiful scenery, and a host of acrobatic moves to Mario's repertoire.

In Galaxy, to acrobatics, graphics, and ingenuous level design, the creators added the twist of gravity and perspective changes.  Suddenly you can go from walking normally to walking upside-down, to walking up the side of the screen.  And you have to follow quickly and change how your mind processes the images at the drop of a hat.  It takes an already challenging set of games and adds a mindbender.

There are just so many innovations in terms of how this Mario game works that it stands out a galaxy ahead of the rest :P

No comments:

Post a Comment