Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Modern Warfare 2: What I lack in skill, I make up for in dying lots


I’m mostly an RPG gamer.  I can’t pretend I’m not.  Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Neverwinter Nights – that’s where the fun is at.  I love strategy games as well, like Civilization and Starcraft, but those are really the two main genres I play.  I love Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but that’s an exception to the general rule.  One genre I am definitely not overly skilled with is the First Person Shooter.  I do ok, and I’ve slowly learned to come to grips with the general controls, but it really isn’t my forte.  This is a shame, because Halo, Call of Duty, and others like it are some of the most popular party games out there for those who don’t want to be playing Mario Party or Wii Sports.  Today, I’d like to talk a little bit specifically about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – why I’m not great at it, what I enjoy about it, and what my favourite strategies are.

I’ve played Modern Warfare 2 quite a lot this year, and I’ve definitely improved.  At least now I know the layout of most of the maps, and understand the difference between some of the guns, and what semtex actually is.  My aiming has gotten better, but it remains one of my weakest areas, and a rather important area at that.  I use a lot of grenades to compensate for this, but I still have yet to learn the angles that they travel at, and a lot land far away.  I’ve had some really spectacular hits though, to be fair.  The minimap, when we have it on, is incredibly useful, but sometimes I find myself shooting at someone who is much further away than I thought.

I do enjoy playing though.  Even if everyone else is at least level 50 and I’m a measly level 16, it doesn’t matter.  It just means that the kills I do get are much more satisfying.  As a game it is quite well put together, especially in multiplayer mode.  The graphics are smooth, the maps are well designed, and the controls respond well.  There is a wide variety of customization available, which is cool, and though I never bother with camo paint, I feel that perhaps that would help.  The game is quite well balanced, in that if you have enough skill the worst gun can beat the best, though there is a definite advantage in being a higher level and having more things unlocked.  That is to be expected though, and while the level gap between my friends and I can be frustrating, I think that it just encourages me to use more skill and tactics.  I can’t really fault it as a game, though even with the tense atmosphere of the battlefield I would have appreciated some decent music.

As for how I play, like I said, I need tactics to compensate for low actual ability.  I'm getting quite handy at putting myself in the right position to surprise people, and learning how to use all of my equipment well.  As for my classes, theunder-mounted grenade launcher is, of course, a must.  It’s surprising, not to mention effective, and it can launch a very long way.  Who needs a better sight?  Not me.  So I have a Famas with grenade launcher, secondary rocket launcher, with flashbangs and a tactical insertion as my primary class.  It’s pretty standard, but flashbangs are so close to being a lifesaver for me.  If I could just stop looking at them when they explode I would be much more effective.... yes, again, I’m not that great.  I’m pretty tactical with my tactical insertion, and I’ve gotten a few nice surprise attacks with it, but all in all, it’s a fairly underwhelming class.  My new and most recent favourite is my sniper class.  My philosophy with sniping has always been quantity over quality, so naturally I use the RPD with a grip.  As you do.  Forget one perfect bullet for each kill.  I can use 100!  Its standard iron sight is good enough for most maps, and it’s surprisingly accurate over a long range.  Of course, at short range it’s even deadlier, which helps.  On Highrise I’m pretty vicious.  Throw in a Thumper for the extra power, some flashbangs and semtex and against anything other than an actual sniper rifle I do pretty well.  I’m going to keep playing with that for a while now and see how I do.  My accuracy is improving as a result, but I maintain that volume over precision works 9 times out of 10.

Modern Warfare 2 is a great game to play with your friends if you enjoy FPSs.  Some people don’t.  But while I am not a general fan of the genre, it’s certainly not a game I would turn down playing.  It’s good fun, and well put together.  Black Ops has its charms as well, and tactical insertion in Nuke Town can be deadly, but I like the slightly simpler and more realistic MW2.  I don’t know who I can recommend this to who wouldn’t already own it, but if you’re considering it and are not sure, it is definitely worth the investment. Of course, Modern Warfare 3 is coming soon, but maybe you would just like to get the practice in.

No comments:

Post a Comment