Tuesday, October 11, 2011

30DODND Day 22: Favourite Monster Overall


            Today and tomorrow will end the monster run, so we’re nearly there.

            My favourite monster is the one entry in the Monster Manual which I never want to see removed.  It is the one I enjoy facing as a player and bringing out as a DM.  It is hugely flexible, and can be incorporated into practically any adventure.  Easy to edit, scaling to provide tougher and easier challenges for any party.  As a player, it’s fun to face, and though some would feel it’s been used too much, I wholeheartedly disagree.

            Of course, I am referring to the Doppelganger.  No matter what plot you have created, throw a doppelganger in and suddenly things become a lot more interesting.  Everything you know about every NPC is thrown into question, and every encounter takes on a sinister edge.  And of course you can give them Character Levels.  Doppelganger rogues and bards are, of course, a joy for any DM to throw at a party.  As I said on Day 8, there is a lot you can do with a doppleganger, and as a player, I love the intrigue that they can create.  Of course, I have been known to be overly suspicious of doppelgangers in games I’m playing in.  True Seeing is a godsend.

There is no monster which is so versatile or so much fun.  Orcs, goblins, ogres, trolls, even owlbears don’t bring the same benefits.  I love those shapeshifting creatures, and I don’t think a monster in the entire system can really compare.
A rare sight

No comments:

Post a Comment